Sunday, April 22, 2012

Robins Update

I went to check on the robins Wednesday night. They were a week old on the 18th. One robin though was looking pretty rough, He didn't have nearly the amount of feathers as his three nestmates and even though his eyes were open, them seemed to be opening and closing very slowly like he hardly had the energy to keep them open. I thought to myself. Uh-oh he's failing to thrive.Wouldn't you, I mean compare this little guy to his buddies.
I spent all day Thursday wondering if I would have to remove a dead chick from the nest, but coworkers reminded me they often get pushed out. Thursday evening, what did I see? But four little chicks perfectly healthy!
I dunno. Maybe he is a late feather-er. I felt a bit like a chump though. They should fledge out by Wednesday. I want to try to get some more pictures of them, but with it so cold, I don't know if they will stay in longer. I don't want to spook them off the nest like I did last year. So we will see. Notice in the pictures how you can still see the last of their dandelion fluff feathers on their heads.

No comments: