Thursday, April 12, 2012

Behold, the Chickens!










We got our four golden comets last Friday. We've had a few husbandry hiccups. We needed an extra food dish, and the self-filling water tray is a little less than stellar so we may have to upgrade it.

Unlike Dad's chickens, these have no problem perching inside the coop part. And in the morning, when I go to let them out, one is always peeking at me through the perch behind the little window.

Also unlike Dad's chickens, these girls are indifferent to scared of me. I've tried petting them, and the walk away. I've tried hand feeding them leftover dinner rolls and pancakes and the just look at me. I haven't had a whole lot of time to work with them, but can't help feeling that they're kinda jerks as Dad's chickens follow him around and come to him when he calls.

So far we've feed them potato peels, rolls, pancakes, and cauliflower and broccoli stems. As the season goes on they will get more plant based scrapes. We've also feed them lay mash, to help them lay. We should be getting four eggs a day shortly. Lately it's been more like two or three.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Julie! The chickens are so cute. You'll have them eating out of your hand in no time. : )

Anonymous said...

Oh Julie! The chickens are so cute. You'll have them eating out of your hand in no time. : )