Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Nestbox Neighborhood (or, Avian Warfare for Resources)

So for the past couple years we had two bluebird boxes hanging from posts in Andrew's grapes. But last year, for some reason, Andrew grew less than fascinated by the constant dive bombing from bluebirds and tree swallows. I mean, they never even grazed him, but still.

So this year, I bought two new bluebird boxes, and we took the other two down and on Easter Sunday Dad and Andrew hung all four at intervals along our neighbors wooden fence. So far it's hard to tell which birds are in which boxes, I think they are still muscling each other. The other day there was a dazzling array of five swallows whizzing around like fighter jets, and two bluebirds, passively aggressively sitting on the fence by a nest box.

As the season wears on I'll talk more about tree swallows, which I like more than bluebirds. But for now, here are some pictures of nesting season in the early swing.

No comments: