Saturday, August 11, 2012

Bluebirds are kinda aggressive...

So a few weeks ago, I was checking on one of our bluebird boxes that had a second clutch of bluebirds. I knew they were getting close to leaving and wanted to see if I could get some pictures. The first picture is the parents who briefly landed on the fence to take a break from hassling me. One of the blue birds poked his head our of the nest box and while I was trying to get the zoom nest to focus, he shot right out of the box and proceeded to zip around yard. In the second picture he's the one on the right. Later in the afternoon I found a bluebird fledge in our garage, all turned around from his travels. Luckily, he landed underneath Andrew's work table and I was able to grab him and point him in the right direction. Without further mishap (that I'm aware of) all the babies left the nest box in the next 24 hours. With as much bird activity going on this summer, I wish I had gotten more pictures. The blue bird baby wasn't the only one I managed to help out. In June we had a baby chickadee clutching the screen of our back porch door. The cats were going nuts trying to get at him. I went around and gently cupped him and then he flew off, landing on our gutter. He was a perfect miniature of a chickadee, no juvenile plumage like his blue bird and robin friends.

No comments: