Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Finding Treasure on the Lot (hey Treasure is in the eye of the beholder)

What a wonderful weekend!

I took Kitten in on Friday and the lump on her side is most likely not serious, but we are getting it removed in a couple of weeks. The vet went ahead and clipped the area around it so it would be easy to find and Kitten seems to have a peevish look about her, as if her dignity has been affronted with a bald spot the size of a silver dollar. It was beautiful on Friday and Sunday so I didn’t feel so bad about working Saturday. It will never stop baffling me how many people choose to stay in a building (even if it is the library) for hours at a time on such beautiful days after the long winter but not everyone is such an outside person like me I guess.

Anyway on Sunday I picked up rocks in our lot while Mom and Dad mowed then I took Mom’s mower and Dad and I mowed the lot down. We had the blades set pretty high so we wouldn’t hit any rocks sticking up and that made all the difference in the world. I am going to try to mow it once every two weeks. Dad says it will help what grass is there get a firmer grip, cut down on the weeds and long grasses and make it easier for us when we disc it up. Andy came out after his paramedic entrance exam and started digging up rocks now that we had most of the field mown. We noticed (me and Dad) that after a while he was staying in one place and more and more shovelfuls of dirt kept appearing. We finished mowing and rode over to see and what Andrew thought was maybe a 3 or 5 pound rock turned out to be a giant landscaping stone about 400 lbs! Dad went and got the bobcat and it took us a while to get it out because he had the bucket on it, not the teeth and the stone was in lengthways but we got it and loaded it up in the gator. I didn’t want to leave it on the lot because I didn’t want anyone to steal it which Dad thought was crazy but we loaded it up and took it to Mom and Dad’s. Who knows what we will find!

The jury is still out about the house. We are looking at either going with American Heritage or with a local lumber company (family run) who builds houses on the side. He uses subcontractors that have very good reputations in the area—some of which Dad has worked with and knows they do good work. With the local guy we are looking at being in around September. With American Heritage it would be December. We still have some research to do but I will keep you posted. Thank you for all of your good thoughts. Julie

No comments: