Wednesday, June 26, 2019

June Round-Up

It's hard to believe it's almost July. I realized a couple weeks ago that with all the rain and clouds, I hardly noticed the long days as there have been so few beautiful sunsets. We are finally getting the sun and humidity Ohio summers are known for. I miss the cool weather, but not the rain that seemed necessarily packaged with it. I did manage to get into the herb garden. There is actually an herb garden in this picture, can you find it? I wish I was kidding. On Sunday though it only took me two hours and buckets and buckets of weeds to transform it into... I'll be adding several calendula plants that a green thumb friend started. The basil had already bolted and yellowed. I may have ripped up some of the thyme in my zeal. The two sage and chive plants now have room to grow. Plus I have malabar spinach and goodwin gray lavender. I never got around to planting basil. I also ripped up lots and lots of almost past bloom chamomile. The Chamomile is once again ridden with aphids. Soaking them up with saltwater kills them, but it's very hard to separate them for tea. I know they say we eat a certain percentage of, ah, "foreign material" but it's one thing to vaguely know it rather than absolutely know it. I'll use the chamomile for facial scrub powder and in a bath. If only my lavender was as hardy as oregano. Maybe I should become and oregano farmer. This is taking up probably a third of my herb garden. I'll mow down and rip out after it blooms as the bees do visit it. In other gardening news, the back area that gets overrun with weeds is so much better this year thanks to the hostas a friend gave me to weed out of her yard. I may lament having them lady as I have to rip them out myself as they are prolific. But right now I appreciate the hardiness of them and how they are choking out a lot of the weeds. Kale is interspersed. It's the first year I've done kale and it's nice to have too. Another harvest so far has been our largest cherry yield to date. Andrew picked them all in one night and I froze them so we can have pie later.

No comments: