Saturday, December 06, 2014

Summer at the House

Even though I ripped up the last of the 2014 garden a couple weeks ago, I have some pictures from this year's garden. I'll start with my very favorite, a picture of Ruby and Marvin enjoying a good roll in the dirt in the herb garden, surrounded by chamomile, oregano, and a yellow flower, I can't remember what it's called. Once again I grew Malabar spinach from M, my green thumb friend. I just love it. The last picture in this series is actually the seeds that I collected in mid-November. They stained my hands super deep purple, but it washed off pretty easily. In California, they can grow rosemary hedges 2 or 3 feet tall. Here is Ohio, 18 inches is the best I can do. We had ripe strawberries as late as October And here is a shot of the mum my friend M gave me a few years ago As far as animal life around the garden, we had chipmunks most of the season, but not in the fall. I'm not sure if they moved somewhere else, or if the neighborhood fox or Cooper's hawk got him. They were fun to watch, racing around with their little tails stuck straight up like a flag on a go cart. The cats sure had fun watching them too. One of the best things about being outside this summer, was our new neighbors, cows, calves and a short horn bull in the field around the house. I loved watching the calves grow up, and seeing the cows in their shiny summer coats. The dusty gray cow is the herd's lead cow. She is my favorite. The short horn bull is standing just to the left of her. Is his forehead patch in the shape of a heart or the shape of Ohio? I'll let you decide.

No comments: