Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Spring Garden Project No. 1

One of the things I was keen on finding at the Rural Society was some vintage galvanized metal wash tubs for a gardening project. Who did I find but Christy from the Green Owl in Urbana. believe me, it's not lost on me I had to drive to Mt. Vernon to find wash tubs from a gal in Urbana, but hey, now I got 'em for the project. Mint and Lemon Balm are too great herbs for teas and bath items. But, never, never, never, never E V E R um, actually plant them in the ground. Unless, you know, you want to be pulling it up for the rest of your life or until you move into a condo. I have put them in pots in the past, but have been rethinking the role of pots in my garden lately. But, I need them in greater quantities this year. A raised bed doesn't count, they can easily grow under the beams and take over the world, or, at an acre. So using a technique my Mom used on some of her big pots, and with the help of my friend R, who trucked out of the big city for company and light gardening I gave it a whirl.
I wanted to find a blue that would match out shutters. This color is still too bright but, it works. And here is one of the chickens inspecting our work.
After the tubs dried, we put them on the front porch and put empty plastic bottles in plastic garbage bags. This took up the space 2/3 to 1/2 from the bottom. this keeps us from wasting potting mix and also, keeps them from weighing like, 50 lbs.
Then add the potting mix, the mint and the lemon balm. Trust me, it will take no time for these suckers to spread over the entire surface of the tub. I'll have to mow the mint down regularly to make sure it doesn't go to seed...cause then it will be all over our yard. So here is the lemon balm.
But it's not all work when you come out and help with a gardening project. We also made a new foot scrub with green clay, demera sugar, sea salt, almond oil, and peppermint and eucalyptus oil.

No comments: