Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Movies on TV

Okay so last night I was waiting for Andrew to get done working out in the basement so we could retire for the evening. I was in the family room flipping channels and taking notes out of a non-fiction book when I found lo and behold, Star Wars A New Hope on the spike channel.

It had just started, you know where the droids are running around the ship before Darth Vader comes on.

Now here is the thing, I have like 4 versions, the original on tape, the original on DVD, the remastered versions...but it was on tv. And, like a favorite song on the radio I was delighted by the wonderful randomness of cable television.

So I watched. Andrew came upstairs and got some dinner and sat beside me.

"Do you want to watch something else?"

"No, why?"

"Well, it's not like we haven't seen this five thousand times and could watch it whenever we wanted."

"Yeah, but it's on tv."

"What is it about favorite movies on tv that compells you to watch? Which movies are like that for you?"

"I'd say every movie I own."

"Andrew, you own like dozens of movies, you'd watch every one if it popped up on tv?"

"Yep?"

We watched Star Wars until Han Solo shot Guido in the cantina and Andrew complained about the remastered version where it shows Guido missing Han. I suggested naming a hypothetical child "Han Solo Scordato" and Andrew made a number of ways kids could tease a kid named Han Solo.

So, what movie would you watch when your flipping channels, even if you own it and/or have seen it 5,000 times.

I expect comments.

swish crack!

9 comments:

Scott said...

Groundhog Day! I think it's designed to be watched again and again and again ...

jennifer said...

Ha! Great post. I'll watch the same movies again and again when I happen to catch them on TV. Pretty much any 80s comedy like Spaceballs, Spies Like Us, Three Amigos are sure bets for me to tune in again...and again. Star Wars original triology right up there. And lately Top Gun for some reason. It's on HBO constantly and I always get hooked in.

**5p34k1nt0ngu3z** said...

**pulling out hair**

I hate this about myself. Such a waste of time!!

John said...

Oh my God! I had this same converstation with Chris the other night. He was watching "Batman Returns" on tv when I came home one night this week. I asked him, "Is nothing else on?" He turned to something else, but eventually drifted back to Batman..which we own...which we've seen a bunch of times.

Erica said...

I have a particular list of movies I will watch, without fail, if they are randomly on TV even though I've seen them all like a million times:

Star Wars
Spaceballs (or any other Mel Brooks movie for that matter)
Sleepless in Seattle
The Mummy (and The Mummy Returns, too)
Sixteen Candles
Not Another Teen Movie
The Wedding Singer

In fact, four of those movies were on TV in the past week, and I definitely watched them :)

Anonymous said...

I can't pass A League of Their Own or Bull Durham, especially in the summer. There are likely some others (a few Hitchcock films, particularly Jimmy Stewart ones come to mind), but these two are definites.

Beth Gallaway said...

HAN SHOT FIRST!!

The Princess Bride. I have it on DVD not sure I've WATCHED the DVD - but if it's on TV, I watch it.

Hubby does the same thing, with Austin Powers, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, & Men in Black.

Movies I DON'T own, but will watch to the end if I catch them mid-scene:
Clueless
The Wedding Singer
Four Weddings & A Funeral
Catch & Release
Love Actually
Breakfast Club

sowens said...

Silvdrado, the Replacements, Hope Floats, Big Trouble in Little China, The Transporter, just to name a few flicks that I could watch any time, but if I find them on TV, I will change my schedule just to watch!

sowens said...

OH! how could I forget MOONSTRUCK!!!!! I MAY pass up My Fair Lady, but not the MUSIC MAN.