Saturday, April 18, 2020

Of Gardening and Books

It pains me to say I had this post almost completely drafted last week and I lost it at the last. I have enough content for two more posts and I aim to keep them about the same length so again, sign up for the email on the right. Some people it works for, some it doesn't. I don't know what to tell you. I can't even figure out how to see how many people have signed up for email delivery. Again though this is really for family and friends I'm not trying to become the next lifestyle guru. Well lets start with gardens. I've been meaning to ask my Mom if this past week's brief snow makes number 3 after the forsythia has bloomed. This is the only garden picture I have for this week. The rest are from the week before Easter. I was wedding in the lavender and had really gotten into a groove when I noticed this weed growing in the clear spot between two sections of a large plant, almost like a clearing in the forest. It reminded me of a queen anne's looking weed that grows in high summer and doesn't bloom like a Queen Anne's plant and I idly noted in the back of my mind that it was the wrong time of year for that kind of weed. And I yanked it out anyway and it came out with a satisfying tug that indicated I had ripped the whole thing out and then to my horror, I realized that what I held in my hand was a baby evergreen tree of some kind. It was actually pretty ingenious that the tree landed here and this seedling actually had lots of cover from the worst weather from the lavender itself. I panicked and potted it. I'll decide later in the fall, where to plant the little guy if he survives. My green thumb friend reminded me that outdoor plants like to stay outdoors so he's living on the back deck, and not on the bathtub rim with my experimental houseplant project. I have brought him into the garage on the nights it gets down to the twenties. Isn't he adorable? Let's hope he makes it. Speaking of the lavender, the babies continue to green up nicely. And I'm focusing my weeding right now on the part where I will plant babies in May. I weeded for another hour and a half today when it was warmest. I wanted to weed longer but I have to clean the chicken coop later so I thought I'd quit while I was ahead. Also the weeds were getting tougher to bring out of the ground. But it isn't the weeds that have changed in strength, but my arms or lack thereof. I also wanted to show these pictures of a single orchard tree, taken just 24 hours apart. What a difference one day makes when it is spring. As for books, I have three books I have finished recently that are all keepers. However I did put three books in the library donation box that I decided I wasn't even going to read so I'm staying on target for halving (or more) of my personal library of only books I think I might actually read. Published in the early eighties, the majority of the essays and articles written in this collection were written by women naturalists long dead. Some were born in the mid to late 1800s. A few at the time of publication were still alive but in their 70s or 80s. The language ranges from flowery to plucky and even includes (the only fictional excerpt) an entry from Indiana's own Gene Stratton-Porter. What struck me was the vast majority of the writers were either spinsters, or married in their mid to late thirties. I think only one writer had more than two kids. Many of them got at least some college. Towards the end of the book, some of the essays focus on real gritty outdoors experiences with wildlife photographing husbands o biologist types. The women often play the role of helper. One lady got stranded on a cold, rainy, isolated island with her husband who had just broken his arm and they were staying in a tiny cabin with a tin roof that was far from air tight. She had to go in the dark the same way he had come to rescue the camera he left when he fell then retreated. Then she had to risk her neck again to signal to the lighthouse keeper to send a rescue ship. This was all mind you, for a nature documentary for Disney. I read this, while enjoying a hot bath and thought to myself "better you than me lady!" These next two books are by Stephen Bodio who is still much alive in New Mexico. There isn't much in the way of contact information on his website and I keep saying I'm going to reach out to one of his publishers about just sending him a note of appreciation. I had read his book Eagle Dreams, about the Golden Eagles of Mongolian falconry (as seen on 60 minutes) and I liked that book well enough but now I'm thinking I need to go back and re read that. Of these two I like A Rage for Falcons the best. If you were ever interested in learning the basics of training, the history, and the different kind of raptors involved in falconry this is an excellent book. Stephen's writing is really among the best I think I've come across. Smooth, powerful, descriptive, artistic without being cloyingly romantic, this is a very readable and enjoyable book. I love his descriptions of both raptors in general and ones he's known personally. I think I would read a whole book written by him just describing all the animals he's ever known. Well this is all for this post really. I have more content as I said. I'll end here with an image of the gorgeous black raspberry pie Andrew made for Easter last week. So I had two black raspberry pies in a week. Our orchard cherries were more of a supplement. and Moxie to wrap it up.

1 comment:

Carl Acton said...

I loved reading your post, Julie! Your written style is engaging, cozy, and rich. It feels like a really good hug. I love your inclusion of books, nature, pets, and pies!